Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Ginger Daines - Panel -- English

What Matters Most in Life

I am thankful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ which has taught me what the important things in life are.

1.  The Gift of Children
Children love our time and attention.  We never know when a teaching moment might occur.  Story of Julia and Larry walking home from store, a teaching moment.

Elder James Faust says, "Don't judge parents of rebellious children."  When one of our sons was in high school, we received the unwelcomed phone call, at night, that our son was in the Arcadia jail, and we were told to come and pick him up.  He had been throwing water balloons at passing cars with his church friends.  We were mortified for a few weeks, but over time, we just had to lighten up and have a sense of humor about his escapades.  We have learned to keep the shenagans of our children in perspective.



One of our sons is so sweet and kind.  He lives out of the country and has taught English there for 8 years.  He has not been church active for over 20 years.  He and his wife have actually talked about needing a community of friends, and have talked about returning to our church.  By the way, she is a Muslim and we have grown to love her like a daughter.  She calls us Mom and Dad.  We are hopeful  he will return to the Church!

2 - Testimony
I decoded early in my marriage that I choose to be a believer in our gospel.  I have bought into the program and my faith is unwavering.  My dear Father-in-law was a scientist.  During his college training, he had some doubt about our church.  Rather than let this be upsetting, he dove into reading, researching and praying about this issue.  All of this served to strengthen his feelings about the Church.  He fought for his testimony.  He went on to help the church grow on the East coast serving for 50 years as a Branch President, District President and as the First Stake President in New Jersey.
Mark Colton spoke at a BYU devotional and says that "By fighting for our testimoy, it will surely grow."  Elder Jeffrey R. Holland says "In this world, everyone is to walk by faith."

3 - Health
I did not inherit the best of genes from my parents.  When I turned 30 I decided to exercise every day during the week.  I was faithful in keeping this decision.  Now that I am a senior, and beyond, I have decided to have compassion on my aging body.  I focus on the things my body can still do intead of all the things it cannot do!

4 - Senior Sisters
Elder Boyd K. Packer says that there are usually more older people in the wards than children.  Older church members teach us that rough things can be endured.  We learn greatly from them, let's spend more time with them..  I have always enjoyed the senior women in our ward.  We started an exclusive club called FAWI'S.  A sister has to be a widow to join the group.  We do not publicize what those letters stand for, it is our secret.  For almost 18 years we have tried to get together several times a year for lunch and visiting in our home.  These women are steadfast.  They are wise, never complaining, and they are so strong!  If they are lonely, they never mention it.  They are my inspiration!  I am grateful to call them my sisters and friends.  These are just a few of the things I have learned as a mother and in my church experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment