Saturday, August 21, 2021

Melody Simmons - Duarte Ward

 I’ve always wanted to be a mother. It started when my brother was born one year and one week after me. From


then, he was my baby! I continued to mother my 2 sisters after him, although I might have been more bossy than motherly. I loved babysitting and working with children, looking forward to the day when I would have my own. I have continued to work with children in Primary and volunteering in the elementary school and it fills my soul although it does have its challenges. Raising my 5 children has given me a tiny glimpse of the love and frustration Heavenly Father must feel for us. As they exercise their agency, I want so much for them to choose the path that leads to Our Father, but, as we know, sometimes they want to do things their way, to my annoyance. I’m sure Heavenly Father feels the same way about me. But what I imagine is Him saying, “I love you. Please, choose my way. Come back to me.” I see His arms outstretched and His smile of acceptance because He loves me, wholly. As my relationship with Him and His son deepens, I am happier. Like a child, I still stumble, and I fall, a lot. But I know they are always there. Jesus is my friend. He lives, I know He lives. And He watches over the details of all of our lives as well as runs the universe. I testify of His enduring love for each of His children. It amazes me, every time that He loves me and will show up in my journey through life with all the mess and mistakes. He is MY savior as well as yours. It has taken me a long time to believe the atonement applies to everyone, including me.  

My favorite part of Primary lessons is when the children testify and share their experiences of Jesus. When they know and believe that He loves them, the rest of the gospel teachings will work their way into their lives. I’m so thankful for those experiences and for the new direction the Lord has taken me. As I stretch myself to teach Seminary, I look forward to hearing the youth testify of their experiences with Jesus. Melody Simmons - Duarte Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment