Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Brenda Carlson - Monrovia Ward

 My name is Brenda Carlson and I am in the Monrovia Ward. I am a convert, joining the church in November of

1988. I have been married to the same wonderful man who introduced me to the church, for 32 years.  We have three beautiful children, a wonderful daughter and son-in-law and two of the best grandchildren in the world. t present, my calling is that of Ward Chorister.  I have to tell you I love this calling and have missed being able to be in front and to see everyone’s face and hear everyone sing.   I love music! And my most favorite is gospel music.  I mean the good old timey country gospel stuff like  “The Old Rugged Cross”, “Peace in the Valley” and “Precious Memories” just to name a few.  I am originally from The Great State of Texas. Austin to be exact, which is known as “Little Nashville.” My father was a country music musician (he played the steel guitar) and although I was pretty much raised in a country dance hall, I always loved spiritual music.  As an adult, I was fortunate to sing in a huge Papal Choir when Pope Benedict visited Texas, I was a member of the Southern California Mormon Choir and more recently a member of the Verdugo Hills Chorus which is a women’s barbershop singing group. In all of these, I loved how the spirit filled the room as well as my heart when we would sing loving and comforting lyrics about the Savior and our Heavenly Father. Although nothing can compare with big orchestrated productions of sacred music, I totally get lost in the simple acapella and minimal accompanied songs of praise and worship.

Although I have been a member of the church for many years, I never completely read the Book of Mormon.  I would always get as far as the beginning of Alma and then life would interrupt and I would have to start all over again.  The one blessing this pandemic has had on me is that it gave me the time to complete the Book of Mormon for the first time.  And of course, I can kick my-self for not being more diligent sonner.  I love this book! I love the gospel! And, I love that I can say that with absolute conviction.  I know Heavenly Father knows me and He is working with me every minute of the day. Teaching me. Loving me. And most importantly He is patient with me. He knows my heart and He knows my desires. And by golly! That’s all that matters! 

No comments:

Post a Comment