Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Maggie McGavin - Distinct and Different - English


I have never said no to a calling or responsibility as soon as it has been extended to me. Before Sis. Cornwall asked me to teach this class, she asked me how seminary was goi ng for me (as
many of you may know I was recently called to be a seminary teacher). So, I told her that it was one of the hardest things that I have ever done, but this assignment takes the cake! I have an
immeasurable trust in my Stake Priesthood leaders and Stake Relief Society Presidency. They are men and women of God!
Forty years ago President Spencer W. Kimball said, “Much of the major growth that is coming to the church in the last days will come because many of the good women of the world (in whom there is often such an inner sense of spirituality) will be drawn to the church in large numbers. This will happen to the degree that the women of the church reflect righteousness and articulateness in their lives and to the degree that the women of the church are seen as a distinct and different in happy ways from the women of the world.”


We are the fulfillment of this prophecy, my dear sisters! Look around you, everyone of us has come from a different background and a different part of this wonderful world! Will you please stand
up if your ancestors came from Asia, Europe, South America, Africa, North America, Islands of the Pacific, Central America, or Australia. In the words of President Kimball, “All of you need to
drink deeply the gospel truths about the eternal nature of your individual identity and the uniqueness of your personality.”
Our topic for this class is: “Distinct and Different in Happy Ways.” What is the difference between “Distinct” and “Different”?

DISTINCT AND DIFFERENT:
Sister Eubanks has said, “Distinct means to be recognizably well defined.” The Restored Gospel is recognizably well defined, but we have to be distinct about how we follow it. How do we live the
gospel sisters? Sister Eubanks continues, “When we keep our covenants, it makes us different from others in our culture and society.”
We are a covenant people. What covenants have we made as members of the church? Our own dear prophet, President Nelson has invited us to go to the temple regularly. Why do you think this
is important? Sister Eubanks continues, “It gives us access to inspiration so we can think of different solutions, different approaches, different  applications.”
The Lord counseled Emma Smith to ”Lay aside the things of this world, and seek for the things of a better.” (D&C 25:10) What are things of this world that we can let go to be happy? The Lord
answered us through his servants the prophets. A few weeks ago, he gave us four challenges. What were they? Why is it important that we do these things? Some of us may have done one or two of these challenges or even all four. It is not too late to start reading the Book of Mormon.
President Ezra Taft Benson said, “It is not just that the Book of Mormon teaches us truth, though it indeed does that. It is not just that the Book of Mormon bears testimony of Christ, though it
indeed does that, too. But there is something more. There is a power in the book which will begin to flow into your lives the moment you begin a serious study of the book. You will find greater power to resist temptation. You will find the power to avoid deception. You will find the power to stay on the strait and narrow path.” This is powerful! When I think of these words I picture in my mind
the scene of the strait and narrow path and holding on to the iron rod that leads back to the tree of life. That reminds me that we are in the world, but we do not need to be of the world. The Savior
himself has told us in John 16:33 “I have overcome the world”. Sister Sheri Dew taught “that the only way we can overcome the world is by coming unto Christ. And coming unto Christ means
walking away from the world. It means placing Christ and Christ only at the center of our lives so that the vanities and philosophies of me lose their appeal.” She shared a story about a 45-year old
mother of six who told her that when she stopped poring over magazines that plagued her with images of how her home and wardrobe should look, she began to find peace. She said, “I may
be chubby, gray, and wrinkled, but I am a chubby, gray, and wrinkled daughter of God, who knows me and loves me.” Jutta Büsche Video
Jutta felt intimidated by examples of perfection all around her. She said, “I increased my efforts to be like my sisters, and I felt disappointed in myself and even guilty when I didn’t run every morning, bake all my own bread, sew my own clothes, or go to the university. I felt that I needed to be like the women among whom I was living, and I felt that I was a failure because I was not able to adapt myself easily to their lifestyles. I could have benefited at this time from the story a six-year old who, when asked by a relative, ‘What do you want to be?’ replied, ‘I think I will just be myself.’ I have tried to be like someone else. I have failed each time!”

IN HAPPY WAYS:
Sis Eubanks said that being happy doesn’t mean to slap a plastic smile on your face no matter what is going on, but it does mean keeping the laws of God and building and lifting others. When we
build, when we lift the burden of others, it blesses our lives in ways our trials cannot take away.
President Hinckley said, “You don’t build out of pessimism or cynicism. You look with optimism, work with faith, and things happen.” There is an energy that comes from happiness and optimism that
doesn’t just bless us, it builds everyone around us. Any small thing you do to light real happiness in others shows that you are already carrying the torch that President Kimball lit. According to
Scripture, we are that we might have joy. One of the purposes of our existence is to be HAPPY! We have been given the Plan of Happiness. If we follow this plan, our joy will be full. We can
choose to be happy, no matter our circumstances. - Green Beans story
Video Presentation
You Can Fly Lyrics
Think of a wonderful thought, any happy little thought.
Think of the happiest things, it’s the same as having wings.
When there is a smile in your heart, there’s no better time to start.
Think of all the joy you’ll find, when you leave the world behind.
Sister Sheri Dew said, “We are not women of the world. We are women of God. And women of God will be among the greatest heroines of the 21st century.”

As President Joseph F. Smith proclaimed, it is not for us “to be led by the women of the world, it is for [us] to lead… the women of the world, in everything that is praiseworthy.” President Nelson has told us “We, your brethren, need your strength, your conversion, your conviction, your ability to lead,
your wisdom, and your voices. The kingdom of God is not and cannot be complete without women who make sacred covenants and then keep them, women who can speak with the power and
authority of God!”
We are unique, as members of the church we are a peculiar people. We have been given a promise of having a special companion with us daily to guide us and help us make right choices. Sister Dew said, “We are unique because of our covenants, our spiritual privileges, and the responsibilities
attached to both. We are endowed with power and gifted with the Holy Ghost. We have a living prophet to guide us, ordinances that bind us to the Lord and to each other, and the power of the
Priesthood in our midst. Just as faithful men were foreordained to hold the priesthood, we were foreordained to be women of God.” President Kimball taught, “No greater recognition can come to us
in this world than to be known as women of God.” Let me close with a quote from President Nelson. “So today I plead with my sisters of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to step forward! Take your rightful and needful place in your home, in your community, and in the kingdom of God—more than you ever have before. I plead with you to fulfill President Kimball’s prophecy. And I promise you in the name of Jesus Christ that as you do so, the Holy Ghost will magnify your
influence in an unprecedented way!”

I pray that we may all light up the world as we sprinkle our pixie dust along the way to lift others to soar to new heights.

No comments:

Post a Comment